Tuesday, September 26, 2006

20 ways to say no

If you've worked in the kind of companies I have, you've probably had your share of projects thrown to you without your knowledge. If you want to tai chi away these unwelcome intrusions, here's 20 ways to say TAK NAK (no) from OnlineOrganizing.com. A short sampler:

  1. I am in the middle of several projects
  2. I am not comfortable with that
  3. I am not taking on any new responsibilities
  4. I am not the most qualified person on the job
  5. I do not enjoy that kind of work
  6. .....

See the full list here.

I don't know about you but I have a slight problem with this list. Can you imagine knocking on your boss's door to say I do not enjoy that kind of work (tip #5), I need to focus more on my personal life (tip #11) or I need to leave some free time for myself (tip #13).

However some points on the list do seem reasonable and might just be persuasive enough, if you work for a boss that listens that is.

No comments: